Tuesday, June 27, 2006

LBC


Well, we got out to the CBS studios out in Hollywood this morning only to find out that the Price is Right is cancelled today. What a bummer. Apparently Bob's endurance is waning..
We have four tickets so there would have been plenty of opportunity for fun.... Instead we hung out in the jewish part of Hollywood and ate well. In fact so well that I had to go to the restroom twice to make accommodations. Commencing the further exploration of an americanized culture, we dove into a thrift store where Andrew bought three pairs of fancy pants
(this is for you Crump) and I found a pair of Tony Lama's that fit like tick on a hound-dog. This is right in the same neighborhood as Miracle Mile where LACMA and the La Brea tar pits are located.
The tar pits are cool, Andrew drew an unauthorized sample for taste characteristics and found the results unfavorable. So far we have taste tested three naturally occurring substances and minerals and found the experience enlightening in its exploration.


LACMA is rad. Far better than the Getty as far as content, however, the Getty is the penultimate Los Angeles art viewing experience..... The featured exibition at the Getty was of John Heartfields work from Weimar and Hitler Germany. He was the first person to appropriate images from popular media and use them to tell a different, not so objective story. I really like this work. LACMA is featuring David Hockney (I liked his camera lucida drawings the best) and a glass show, which took me quite by surprise, there was some amazing work in that show.
  • Link to images

    Saturday we met up with Brenda,Nick,Zachary and Lauren and went to the LA MOCA which is currently showing select Rauschenberg combines and an exhibition of Lorna Simpsons work. Rauschenberg was very cool, iconic in its direct use of objects, images and text.

    Tim came home from work and we went to The Pike, a Long Beach bar owned by a former member of Social Distortion. There was a bluegrass outfit playing for about ten people, including us. They were quite good though and played some awesome renditions of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Mystery Train" upon my request.
    I don't know what it is, but The Pike feels like home and I fall in love for a few instants with the barkeep every time I'm there. She's always a brunette rockabilly girl with a quick smile and a graceful way. Whoever hires the barkeepers has high standards of a certain asthetic.




    Our stay in the LBC turned out to be a nice rest stop and place to meet up with and find ourselves with friends of whom we havent seen in a while. Much thanks to you Tim for all of your hospitality. Brenda! It was great seeing and being able to talk with you for a while. I enjoyed giving you my rendition of what I thought each of the painting were composed of. I find that my view on most of fine art seems to always be abstract even when the painting is not. Anyway it was great to have spent time with everyone. We are back on the road now and yesterdays drive was full of great visual experiences. Those will be shown soon.
    I will have you some images of drawings from the trip soon. The trip has thus far been very fulfilling. Hans and I will be in touch soon and hope all is well. Madison



    We also got up at the asscrack of dawn to go fishing while in Long Beach, it was a lot of fun! We caught Sand Bass, which I cooked up for dinner for us all once Tim got home from work. Andrew also caught a small mackerel that was too small to keep. Some of the other folks on the boat caught Barracuda and Halibut.


    MOVIE CLIPS:
  • Getting wet
  • Wish you were here
  • Rollin on dubs in the LBC
  • Motion picture

    THE GOODS:
  • The Getty
  • LA County Museum of Art
  • MOCA Los Angeles
  • Paul Kopeikin Gallery
  • 2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The LB has been morning your leaving . I had so much fun in the short amount of time we spent together . I am so glad andrew found his shiney new shoes just a stones throw from my new place. I hear you acting the part of karowac now ... drinking and booozing .. good friends and good times to come . keep on truckin' myfriends . until next time. may the roads stay straight and the gas never run dry . our lady of the lowered dont let you down.
    tim

    28 June, 2006 15:35  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You look like you're having a great time! I would love to see Slab city that sounds really cool. I'm helping my Mother replant her garden and fix up her house. It's nice to be working and out of denver. Hope your trip continues to go well.

    Jules

    29 June, 2006 16:02  

    Post a Comment

    << Home